Unit of Inquiry:
We have reschedule G1 Market Day for Tuesday, February 20. Practice for the big day by making a shopping game at home. Use paper to make sets of bills: 1 dollar bill (make 15), 2 dollar bill (make 5) and 5 dollar bill (make 4). Find goods at home and price them from $1 to $5. Then practice shopping!
Reading and Word Work:
1. Play a spelling game: Look in newspapers or magazines to find letters to spell the names of some of your classmates: Angus, Jude, Brandon, Carson, Julie, Rory, Laszlo, Emma, Jemima, Tyr, Sebastian, Jordan, Kaitlyn, Reggie, Haku, Adam, Emi, Lotty, Janick, Josie and Javier. BONUS: Can you choose 4 or 5 names and put them in ABC order?
2. Word Work with consonant blends - ABCya First Grade Games (Play the Fuzz Bugs Farm Game)
3. Visit these websites to read a book or two or three. Try to be balanced by reading a story (fiction) and a book that teaches (non-fiction). - Reading: TumbleBooks (Animated books and read alongs) (user name: hkpa/password: books) and Pebble Go (user: hkacademy/password: dragonfly)
1. Try these problem-of-the-day challenges.
PROBLEM 1: Leah’s mother gave her 6 pencils. Her father gave her 8 pencils. her sister gave her enough pencils so that she now has a total of 16.
How many pencils did her sister give her?
(Show your thinking with a drawing, a number sentence and a third way if you can.)
John, Emma, and Alice each had 10 raisins.
John ate 6 raisins, Emma ate 3 raisins, and Alice ate 5 raisins.
How many raisins do they each have now?
(Write a number bond and a number sentence for each student.
2. Find some small objects that are in your house. Can you make an ABC pattern? Can you make another kind of pattern (AABC, AABB, or any other)?
3. If you still have time, try these sites:
1. Write a story about the BEST day you ever spent in your house. OR...write a story about the BEST shopping adventure ever!
2. Make a book with your own idea.
3. Write a letter to your teachers letting them know what you did at home today.
Brain Pop Jr.
Still looking for more? Try Brain Pop Jr. https://jr.brainpop.com/
user name: hkabrainpop /password: dragonfly14